Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Happy September!!

September is my new favourite month of the year. Fall has always been my favourite season - although its really the New England fall that I grew up with, and that still lives on in my mind, that I love. The crisp air, the sunny skies and the gorgeous array of coloured leaves...ahhh!

But now I love September even more because it brings with it such happy memories. This time last year we were (impatiently) awaiting my son's arrival. And September is now the month where we celebrate both my dear hubby and my sweet little baby's birthdays!

To celebrate the start of my favourite month and season - here is one of my all time favourite snacks, with the signature autumn flavour we all love!

Pumpkin Millet Muffins
Muffins are usually not on my list of recommended foods, as they are usually high in calories, fat, refined sugar and refined carbs. Not these beauties! These muffins feature whole grain millet, pumpkin seeds and I have adapted the recipe to use more healthful ingredients.

This recipe is from the Rebar cookbook, but I modify it to include healthier fats (unrefined coconut oil instead of sunflower oil) and unrefined sugars (pureed dates instead of brown sugar), as well as whole wheat flour (feel free to try some other flour like spelt or quinoa).

Enjoy!!!

Yeilds 16 large muffins or lots of little mini muffins (which I love as a quick little snack)

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup unrefined/ extra virigin coconut oil (available in natural food stores with olive oil)
1 cup milk with 1 tbps of lemon squeezed in it
3/4 cup pureed dates (I soak the dates in warm water for a few minutes, then puree in my food processor)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I get organic pumpkin in a can...don't get 'pumpkin spice mix/ pie mix', just pumpkin)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup millet
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg


1) Preheat oven to 350. Grease large muffin tins with butter. Set aside. Combine eggs, oil, milk, dates, vanilla, and pumpkin in a large bowl and mix together. Stir in the oats. Toast the millet in a hot dry skillet until lightly brown and fragrant. Toast pumpkin seeds and add both to the mix. Set aside.

2) In seperate bowl mix dry ingredients together. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and gently stir to combine. Do not overmix, or the muffins will be dry and rough.

3) Fill muffin cups generously with batter. Spring tops with pumpkin seeds and bake for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes clean.

These muffins are really moist, and because they are made with whole foods, they only last about 3 days before beginning to mold. Keeping them in the fridge may help preserve them for up to 5 days.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment