Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Blossoming Baby - My Son's Diet Diary


Recently I have been fortunate enough to be working with lots of fabulous Mamas as they introduce their babies to solid foods, wean their children from breast milk and or formula, and improve their toddler's diets. I love working with families in this way because starting children out on a nutritious, varied, and wholesome diet is the best way to ensure a lifetime of health and wellbeing. A lot of these Mamas ask me what I feed my son...so here it is "A Day in the Life of the Son of a Holistic Nutritionist!"

My son Jasper (shown left with a face full of raspberries!) is 10 months old, and is a big blossoming baby. He was nearly 10lbs at birth, and is still towards the top end of the curve for his age. Therefore he puts away a lot of (healthy!) food each day. Jasper is also still breastfed, and I don't count the number of feeds, or their length any more, so sorry, no real details on that! Please bear in mind that each child is different, so please do not read this and think "oh no, my baby is not getting enough", or "oh no, I haven't introduced x yet". Each child and each family require a customized plan. This is just what it looks like in my house!

We aim to eat meals together, as a family, and recently have been doing a better job at this, I am pleased to report. It was harder in the beginning when we were introducing foods a bit more slowly due to a family history of food allergies.

Tuesday, August 2 (and most days are similar)

Early Morning 'Snack': 1 banana, 1/2 an apricot

Breakfast: Around 3/4 cup steel cut oats with cinnamon & 1 tsp unrefined coconut oil; a few cherries

Lunch: 1/4 cup baked wild salmon; 1/2 cup mixed steamed veggies (broccoli, kale, green beans), 1 roasted beet; a few slices of avocado

Afternoon Snack: large handful blueberries, 3 kamut & brown rice cakes

Dinner: a chicken thigh (See recipe) with some onions and garlic, 3 roasted purple potatoes, sauteed swiss chard and zucchini

Drinks: breast milk; 4-5 tumblers of water

*If you are interested in booking a session to create a nutrition plan for your child, please email me!*

1 comment:

  1. Our infant learn anything from us. I have seen that there are tons of babies who are obsessed with eating foods. Glad to read your infant diet diary. I have also made diet schedule for my baby.
    LED Grow Lights

    ReplyDelete